Gather Up The Toddlers and head to the kitchen! Here is a treat you all can make together! Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Scones
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 ¾ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 ½ cups quick cooking oats
- ¾ cup butter, cut into small pieces
- 4 eggs
- 2 Tbsp. vanilla
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup sugar for sprinkling on top of scones
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. In a large bowl, add the flour, baking powder, salt, oats and sugar. Whisk together to blend. Add the cold butter and using your hands or a pastry blender cut the butter into the flour until you have pea size pieces of butter.
3. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, vanilla and cream together. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until you have a rough dough. Add the chocolate chips and continue to stir. The dough should be a dense and moist dough.
4. Knead the dough lightly in the bowl for about a minute until the dough comes together. Divide the dough in half and wrap each half in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 20-30 minutes.
5. Place the refrigerated dough on a lightly floured work surface and pat the dough out until about 1” thick. Cut the dough with 3” circle dough cutter. Place the scones on a sheet pan and continue until all scone dough has been used. Rework any scraps to make more scones.
6. Bake the scones for about 18-20 minutes. They should be golden brown and puffy. Remove from the oven and cool on the pans for about 5-10 minutes then remove to wire racks to cool completely.
7. Serve with Peanut Butter or Jelly..