Nutty SPAM Surprise
Reintroduce Spam with this sandwich which is a cousin of the Monte Cristo treat.
- 2 12-ounce cans SPAM® Classic, cut into 8 slices
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 18 – 16 tablespoons peanut butter, to desired taste
- 8 slices white sandwich bread
- 3 apples (peeled, cored and sliced thin)
- Pancake syrup, for dipping
- 1.Spray griddle with non-stick cooking spray and heat. Brown sliced SPAM® Classic in skillet. Set aside.
- 2.In a bowl (large and wide enough to dip a slice of bread) whisk eggs, half-and-half, cinnamon and nutmeg together. Set aside.
- 3.Evenly spread peanut butter to taste on one side of each bread slice (about two tablespoons on each). Place 2 pieces of SPAM® side-by-side on top of the peanut butter on 4 of the slices of bread. Place a layer of apples on the other 4 sandwich halves. Put the sandwich halves together. Dip one side slightly in the egg mixture, enough to coat just the bottom evenly. Grill until golden brown. Turn the sandwich over. Repeat the drip and grill steps until all 4 sandwiches are done. Slice and serve with syrup.