This recipe makes a lot, but it stores really well so you can enjoy it as leftovers the next day or put half into the freezer and pull it out when you need it.
- 6 cups black beans, drained and rinsed if using canned
- 2 cups diced sweet potato
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes or 1-14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 5 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 cups short grain rice, cooked
1. Set aside 1 cup beans. Add the remaining 5 cups to the slow cooker along with the sweet potato, tomatoes, onion, cumin, salt, chili powder, and stock. Cook on LOW for 7-8 hours.
2. Puree soup with an immersion blender or a regular blender, working carefully in batches. Stir in the reserved 1 cup beans and the rice. Let sit, covered, for at least 10 minutes before serving so the rice can thicken the soup.
3. Season to taste with additional salt if needed. Serve with salsa, cheese, and/or sour cream.
Use carrot instead of sweet potato.
Stir in quinoa rather than rice.
Squeeze in a little fresh lime juice